Re: LD10 schematic

  • To: <ukha_d@xxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: LD10 schematic
  • From: adrian.lucas@xxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 17 Aug 2000 09:32:52 +0200

Why not put your bedside lamp on a different house code from the other
lights then you can use "all off" to turn off all lights except
the bedside lamp.

Adrian

robert@xxxxxxx on 17/08/2000 01:35:43
Please respond to ukha_d@xxxxxxx@SMTP
To:	ukha_d@xxxxxxx@SMTP
cc:
Subject:	Re: [ukha_d] LD10 schematic
Classification:	Restricted

Hello Keith

Subject: RE: [ukha_d] LD10 schematic

> I assume from what you are describing, that the LD10 is located some
> distance away from the wiring closet.

LD10's are in the wiring closet (if you can call it that) i wanted some
kind
of visual indication as to the status of the LD10's so that instead of
wandering round the house to see which lights are on i could pop my head
round the door of the wiring closet and switch them on/off with the RF
remote, Its mainly to make sure they are all switched off before i go to
bed, i dont want to issue the "all off" command as my bedside
lamp is also
x10 and i dont want to stumbling about in the bedroom waking up 'she who
must be obeyed'  its taken me ages to WAF for x10 stuff so i dont want to
go
rocking the boat :)

>Adding a remote LED is not easy or
> recommended. To add an LED would either mean connecting it to the low
> voltage electronics within the module or connecting it to the output
of
the
> module with a suitable dropper resistor.

I have seen a modification to an x10 light switch of somekind and was
hoping
to do a sinilar thing, i believe it was a US model though so 110v....

> The low voltage part of X10 modules is fed from a capacitive dropper
power
> supply and would almost certainly not support the additional load for
the
> LED. Also, despite the fact that the low voltage section operates on
around
> 15 volts DC this is DIRECTLY CONNECTED TO THE MAINS AND MUST BE
CONSIDERED
> AS A LIVE 240V CIRCUIT.

> Instead of a small wattage bulb, why not use a neon indicator.

I thought of that almost as soon as i hit the send button :)
But would a neon "dim" when i dim the lights ??? (LV transformer)

> virtually no power consumption but still requires mains rated cable
for
the
> connection as it is also a live circuit. Using a neon also has one
other
> benefit. It will show the current status of the module but also if the
lamp
> controlled by the LD10 blows the neon will light at all times due the
> leakage through the suppression components. Once the blown lamp is
replaced
> the neon will be revert to showing the true state of the LD10.
>
> If you do decide to add some form of remote monitoring, please be
careful.

Many thanks for the advise Keith, much appreicated

> > Anyone know ehere i can get hold of a schematic of the LD10
> > dimmer module ?
> > Im SURE i HAD one on my HD somwhere but i cant find it now
> >

> > I am wanting to add an LED to the module so i can see when it
> > is powered up
> > from the wiring closet.
> > I was toying with the idea of putting a small wattage bulb in
> > parallel with
> > the lights they control but there HAS to be a nicer way of doing
it :)

Robert Crawshaw                 http://www.golcar.demon.co.uk
Member of HAUG (Huddersfield Amiga User Group)

The release of Windows 2000 has been put back to the first quarter of 1901

Earn us both some cash by clicking this address.
http://www.alladvantage.com/go.asp?refid=gki217

Get a NextCard Visa, in 30 seconds!
1. Fill in the brief application
3. Get rates as low as 2.9% Intro or 9.9% Ongoing APR and no annual fee!
http://click.egroups.com/1/7873/9/_/2065/_/966497163/