FW: Video/RF distribution

  • To: ukha_d@xxxxxxx
  • Subject: FW: Video/RF distribution
  • From: James Hoye <jhoye@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 15 Aug 2000 12:36:17 -0400

Objective:

To be able to watch OnDigital channels (eg. Sky1, UK Gold) on the bedroom
TV
from the STB located downstairs in the sitting room.  IR Remote control of
the STB is also mandatory.

The ability to be able to watch DVDs (again from downstairs with IR
control), although not necessary, would be desirable.

So Far:
I have the following cables in place:
1 RG59 from loft aerial to sitting room outlet for STB
1 RG59 from sitting room outlet to bedroom outlet
1 3pr overall screened from sitting room outlet to bedroom outlet
(twisted slightly, but not as much as CAT5)
1 2pr individually screened from sitting room outlet to bedroom outlet

The Solution:
I reckon I could:
Pipe RF on the RG59 from OnDigital to the bedroom on channel x
Carry YC (s-video) from DVD to the bedroom using the 2pr cable
Carry L+R audio from DVD to the bedroom using 2 of the 3 pairs, with the
remaining pair for IR signalling

Does this make sense?  I was toying with carrying composite video from
OnDigital via the RG59 to the bedroom, but this would mean I'd need another
2 pairs for the L+R audio.  I have a Sony STRDB925 receiver/amp/AC3/DTS
decoder that does s-video/composite switching, but think it's a bit of an
overkill.  Plus it's another IR device I'd have to control from the
bedroom,
and seeing that I can't find enough time to program 1 Pronto, buying
another
(spouse approval factor aside) would be pointless!

I might mention at this point that I can run another cable in if required
seeing as I'll be using steel trunking running up the outside wall from the
sitting room to the loft.  The bit from the loft to the bedroom outlet
becomes tricky once the plasterboard wall is fixed permanently!

James (H)

Click for more information on how eGroups members save with beMANY!
http://click.egroups.com/1/6780/9/_/2065/_/966356887/