RE: Protect and survive

  • To: ukha_d@xxxxxxx
  • Subject: RE: Protect and survive
  • From: Ian Lowe <ian@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 11 Aug 2000 05:59:21 -0700 (PDT)

--- Keith Doxey <keith.doxey@xxxxxxx> wrote:
> <PEDANT MODE>
> I knew what you meant but what you said was
> "if the line went down?"
> not if the ADSL sevice failed. :-)
> </PEDANT MODE>

ahem.

<TRULY PEDANTIC MODE>

Actually, I said:
"if your ADSL NTU dies, you will still have phone service."

</TRULY PEDANTIC MODE>

:P raaaaaaasp!
:)

> Home Highway is TRUE DIGITAL.
> The line provides enough power to drive the digital electronics if
> you have a mains failure but there is no actual analogue sevice to
> your home.

Hmmm.
I suspect there is a difference in installations.

My Highway (originally Business Highway, then converted) line was
installed waaaaaay back (Mine was the first installation carried out by
the BT engineer) The box has been replaced once since.

In the event of a power failure (which happens far too often, thanks to
living on a building site!) to the Home Highway box, I still have
standard POTS phone service on Analog Port 1, but not on Port 2. Only
my primary number rings, the secondary number gives an engaged tone.

> HH is better than ISDN as without power for your terminal adapter or
> ISDN PBX you have no service in a power cut.

I agree! Now if only you could pick up the Voice Channels from the
Digital Channel using an MSN.... :)

> If the HH box dies you have no service whatsoever as a certain
> Mr.M.McCall

As I said, my box was replaced: I was having carpets fitted and the
fitter accidentally took the HH box off of the wall with a Hammer. What
BT advised was to unplug the HH Box from the "digital access"
faceplate, and plug a standard phone into the socket. This gave me a
normal analog service on one line until a BT Engineer visited with the
new box.

Of course, there might have been some exchange jiggery pokery in the
background to let this happen....

Ian.

=====
>+++
Ian R Lowe. Director, Wintermute Consultancy Ltd.
e-mail: ian@xxxxxxx
Onward and Upward! Towards Ascension!