RE: cables, sockets and plugs, whole house audio, x10 DI N modules

  • To: ukha_d@xxxxxxx
  • Subject: RE: cables, sockets and plugs, whole house audio, x10 DI N modules
  • From: James Hoye <jhoye@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 11 Aug 2000 04:50:01 -0400

> At 04:49 10/08/00 -0400, you wrote:
> >Nigel, this is *exactly* what I've been trying to achieve.  I
built a
> >prototype circuit based on a CA3140 opamp, (see
> >http://www.mitedu.freeserve.co.uk/Circuits/Interface/irext.htm
)

> I'd seen that one, I'd honestly be surprised if anyone could
> get it to
> work.  Biggest 'missing bit', unless I'm missing something,
> is that there's
> no AGC (automatic gain control) for the signal.

That's why I can't get it working then!!!

> Do you have a 'scope?  If not, try varying distances from
> remote to photo
> diode and photo-diode to equipment- it's possible something
> is getting too
> low or too high a signal.

No 'scope.  I think I'll just build what you have (if you don't mind of
course!).

> If it's not too difficult to swallow your pride, I'd recommend the
> demodulated route though... it should work much better over longer
> distances, and the reception bit is traditionally quite
> tricky to design
> from scratch- a complete receiver is definitely easier.

My electronics is pretty crap - I can use TTL logic gates, know a bit about
transistors etc. but couldn't design these sort of circuits - I have no
pride to swallow!

Cheers,
James (H)

Apply NOW!