X-10 Computer Interface

  • To: ukha_d@xxxxxxx
  • Subject: X-10 Computer Interface
  • From: Ant Skelton <ant@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 04 Aug 2000 17:19:35 +0100

Recently, I was speccing my PC interface for an X-10 controller, and
decided on the TW7223, as it was the cheapest available. I had to write
a driver for it, as there wasn't anything useful available.

The TW7223 cost me £26. If I'd wanted a serial convertor so I could
talk to it from my PC's serial port, it would have set me back an
astonishing £64.63, and that's on top of the £26 for the TW7223.

The other popular option appears to be the CM12U, which again is a
serial port interface, and costs £64.63 also. Granted, it has some
extra features like battery backup, PC-less operation, etc.

It seems to me that the non-X10 parts of these adaptors are far too
expensive. Given a TW7223 OEM X-10 controller, I reckon a small
board could be knocked up to provide all the relevant functionality
for about a tenner.

Frankly, I'm tempted to do it. I assume that given the amount of
HA software that speaks CM12U, the interface to it is publically
available?

cheers

ant
--
ant@xxxxxxx                     /\/\                www.ant.org
ant@xxxxxxx            (`')     www.homewireless.co.uk

Spend your money on the things you enjoy…NOT your bills.
Join beMANY! get LOW rates on your long distance TODAY.
Click for details.
http://click.egroups.com/1/6840/9/_/2065/_/965406122/