RE: Question re X10 module (a bit long!)

  • To: ukha_d@xxxxxxx
  • Subject: RE: Question re X10 module (a bit long!)
  • From: "Paul Gordon" <paul_gordon@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 04 Aug 2000 09:26:48 BST

>I wish I could help here, but I can't since I do;t have 2 sounds cards
in =
1
>pc either.  But, I think I heard that PCI sound cards are either easier
or
>are required to do this.  I'm sure someone will chime in with the
answer.
>And if not, I'll ask on the ACE list since I think a few people there
are
>doing it.

Thanks, I'd like to try this sometime, although its not urgent, because
I'v=
e=20
already implemented the two seperate PC's and that is my (working) HA=20
system, which I'm not about to rip out & start again any time soon!
For "Paul's HA system Mark 2" though....

>Winamp can be configured to use a specific sound card in your pc.  So,
tha=
>part is easy.  ACE-TTS (text to speech) can also select which sound
card t=
>use (just added that today, actually before I read this).  I think HS
uses
>the same TTS engine (MS SAPI 4.0a) so it should also be able to select
>sound card to speak out of.  ACE-32 also has volume and mute commands
that
>can be directed at any sound card in your system,  And, some of the ACE
>functions can help in sharing the sound card.  For example, ACE-TTS can
>share the sound card with Winamp.  So, when ACE-TTS needs to speak,
ACE-TT=
>stops Winamp, speaks, then restarts Winamp at the same position in the
sam=
>song as it was when ACE-TTS stopped it.
>
>Some of the new sounds cards (sound balster live for example) come with
>drivers that allow multiple programs to play WAVs to the same sound
card a=
>the same time.  Using this approach, it's possible to use the left
and=20
>right
>channels to separate sounds.  Not great for music since it would be
only 1
>channel, but fine for some uses.

That's useful information - it's already got me thinking....  :-)

>[snip]
>
>OK, I understand your needs for the randomize feature.  I'm working on
it.
>I had my partner in crime add the shuffle logic earlier today, so
that's
>done.

Great stuff - looking forward to a proper randomiser! - should I hold off
o=
n=20
trying my other idea for this, which was to randomly sort the playlist
.M3U=
=20
file outside of Winamp (probably by a VB script in HS) before I actually=20
load it into Winamp...  Trouble is, I'm not sure how I'd sort it randomly
-=
=20
I couldn't just use "SORT" with a random sort column specified
each time -=
=20
the track data includes the full UNC path, so about the first 20
characters=
=20
or so of every entry are the same. I guess I'd have to read the whole file=
=20
into memory, randomise it, then re-write the .M3U file, hmmmm....  ???

Thanks Dan

Paul G.