RE: Question re X10 module

  • To: ukha_d@xxxxxxx
  • Subject: RE: Question re X10 module
  • From: "Paul Gordon" <paul_gordon@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 03 Aug 2000 09:24:00 BST

>   >My question is this: Are there ANY alternative X10 switches
which are
>   >designed for (and will work in) the UK? - IE: don't require a
>   >Neutral wire, don't require a 110V mod, don't require a US style
>backbox,
>and don't require ploughing trenches through my plaster.
>
>Simple answer...NO!

So it looks like I'm **ggered then?

>But you might want to look at these...
>http://www.letsautomate.com/10340.cfm

OK, I've had a look at them, -- a couple of questions strike me.... (Mike
H,
feel free to chime in...)

1) How are these different from using JUST a din rail module and any old
pushbutton switch? - what extra does the £60 base controller bring to the
party, given that a din rail module is needed as well? - Apart from the
status LED on the switchplate (which I could live without!)

2) Given that I've got NO alternative to using a DIN rail type solution,
I've a couple of queries about how I might most easily integrate some into
my house. I won't ask too much about the wiring, as I know there are some
PDF's on the Comfort site that document retrofitting them into UK house
wiring, so assuming I'm using standard din rail module LD10's ...
a) Any momentary press switch can be used at the switch location, right?
b) Only low-voltage goes between said switch & LD10, Right?? (So some
nice
thin cable, like CAT5 is all I'd need to run to the switch location)

Also, I suppose I could consider the wireless switches, but I really don't
fancy that idea much - I've had too many experiences of the TM12 locking up
and refusing to accept signals, and I really hate the idea of anything
battery operated. - If they failed just once when my wife was trying to
turn
the living room lights on, then they'd have to go - no question!   :-(

>Yeah..and maybe a new yacht and a Ferrari and identical blonde
nymphomaniac
>twins! :-)

Well obviously those as well - that goes without saying!

Paul G.