RE: Question re X10 module

  • To: <ukha_d@xxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: Question re X10 module
  • From: "Mark McCall" <mark@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 2 Aug 2000 23:26:18 +0100

>I'm getting increasingly less happy with the X10 UK wall switches!!
>
>- it's impossible to track their status - they don't support
>status request,
>and they dont transmit the relevant X10 code when locally operated.
>
>- They don't support preset dim, or memory dim, and always have to go
>100% bright first.

Hmmmmmmmm....What can I say Paul.  You are right.

>My question is this: Are there ANY alternative X10 switches which are
>designed for (and will work in) the UK? - IE: don't require a
>Neutral wire, don't require a 110V mod, don't require a US style
backbox,
and don't
>require ploughing trenches through my plaster.

Simple answer...NO!
But you might want to look at these...
http://www.letsautomate.com/10340.cfm

>What I _really_really want (I'll tell you what I want, what I
>really, really want, I wanna, I wanna...) is a UK wall switch, which is
as
>simple to fit as the LW12 (IE a direct replacement for any ordinary
switch), and provides
>reliable status tracking, by EITHER supporting the X10 status
>request, OR by sending the X10 command when locally operated, and also
supports
>preset dim levels.

Yeah..and maybe a new yacht and a Ferrari and identical blonde nymphomaniac
twins! :-)
There are lots of things we want but right now the chances are zero.  Or
are
they??!!

>I know I could consider the din rail modules, but this still
>isn't ideal, as I have no-where to put the module other than in the
ceiling void
>above the fitting, (which will probably involve ripping up my bedroom
>floor to access) and I have to fanny about reconfiguring my downstairs
lighting
>ring-main!! (I'm not an electrician!)
>
>For the same reasons, I don't particularly want to employ a dedicated
>lighting system like Lutron, as it has to fit in with my existing X10
>control scheme, and anyway, those systems are stupidly expensive!

I agree.

>If such a switch exists, I would "happily" pay £50-£60 each
for
>them for the increased functionality.
>Is there such a beast, or is this all just "zig-a-zig-ahhhh"

All togther now, sing...

M.

Explore the popular High-End Room -
Go To Where The Smart People Shop-uBid.com
http://click.egroups.com/1/6141/9/_/2065/_/965255233/