Question re X10 module

  • To: ukha_d@xxxxxxx
  • Subject: Question re X10 module
  • From: "Paul Gordon" <paul_gordon@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 02 Aug 2000 21:03:01 BST

Hi all,

I'm getting increasingly less happy with the X10 UK wall switches!!

- it's impossible to track their status - they don't support status
request,
and they dont transmit the relevant X10 code when locally operated.

- They don't support preset dim, or memory dim, and always have to go to
100% bright first.

My question is this: Are there ANY alternative X10 switches which are
designed for (and will work in) the UK? - IE: don't require a Neutral wire,
don't require a 110V mod, don't require a US style backbox, and don't
require ploughing trenches through my plaster.

What I _really_really want (I'll tell you what I want, what I really,
really
want, I wanna, I wanna...) is a UK wall switch, which is as simple to fit
as
the LW12 (IE a direct replacement for any ordinary switch), and provides
reliable status tracking, by EITHER supporting the X10 status request, OR
by
sending the X10 command when locally operated, and also supports preset dim
levels.

I know I could consider the din rail modules, but this still isn't ideal,
as
I have no-where to put the module other than in the ceiling void above the
fitting, (which will probably involve ripping up my bedroom floor to
access)
and I have to fanny about reconfiguring my downstairs lighting ring-main!!
(I'm not an electrician!)

For the same reasons, I don't particularly want to employ a dedicated
lighting system like Lutron, as it has to fit in with my existing X10
control scheme, and anyway, those systems are stupidly expensive!

If such a switch exists, I would "happily" pay £50-£60 each for
them for the
increased functionality.

Is there such a beast, or is this all just "zig-a-zig-ahhhh"

Cheers.

Paul G.