Re: First post...

  • To: ukha_d@xxxxxxx
  • Subject: Re: First post...
  • From: Nigel Orr <Nigel.Orr@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 01 Aug 2000 15:16:43 +0100

At 06:59 01/08/00 -0700, you wrote:
>My question is: has anyone got one of those video/audio baluns for
>sending audio + composite video over CAT-5?

Go Keith...

Until such times as Keith's vaporware [fighting talk :-) ] actually
arrives, you can just try connecting it all up and see if it works,
remember.  It's unlikely to harm anything, I've currently got audio and
video piped around passively on cat-5 with no big problems.  However, the
video is currently only from mono CCTV cameras, I'll try it with composite
video and report back sometime...

If there are problems, you might be able to just fit transformers for audio
and video as necessary.  This is the DIY approach, obviously if someone is
paying you to do an installation, you aim to get it right first time, but
if it's just your own house, you _could_ save a lot by trying it and
finding out what you actually need, particularly if the cat-5 is run nice
and far from mains cables, and if your mains supply is relatively clean and
well installed.

This doesn't mean at all that Keith's box of tricks is unnecessary, but you
might be able to 'get by' until it's available.

Nigel

Thinking about buying a house? Start with the Power of Yes.
It's put thousands of people into the homes of their choice.
Now it's your turn. Get your "Yes" at:
http://click.egroups.com/1/7763/9/_/2065/_/965139489/