Advice on custom input/output for pc

  • To: <ukha_d@xxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Advice on custom input/output for pc
  • From: "Graham Howe" <graham@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 1 Aug 2000 10:50:42 +0100

I am building a PC inside the case for a HiFi CD player with the intention
of putting it in my HiFi rack so that I can use it as a source for MP3
(files held on the home server) as well as internet browsing and home
finance through the TV, then probably on to HA control with the TV as the
monitor etc etc.

The case has space for a small display and has 10 buttons (excluding
power).
The rest of the gear in the rack (from the same company) has green led
display on black background, I obviously want to match that.

I am looking for advice on sources/prices for such a screen, how to connect
it to the PC, what software might be useful (that would have intelligent
output to the text display). Also the same for the buttons, how to connect
them, what software would be easy to control with them (I was thinking of
having them mapped to cursor controls, return button etc).

The PC will have IR keyboard/mouse for full control but I like the idea of
scrolling through MP3 files and having transport controls on the facia.
Also
the PC will be running windows (either 95,98,NT4 or 2000) so please don't
suggest unix software.

I have built several PC's but do not have any real electronics experience,
so pointers to appropriate web sites for schematics and idiot proof
instructions would be welcome.

Regards

Graham

Open the door to endless possibilities for your home!
http://click.egroups.com/1/7726/9/_/2065/_/965123461/