Re: DIN modules question

  • To: ukha_d@xxxxxxx
  • Subject: Re: DIN modules question
  • From: "Neil J. McRae" <neil@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 31 Jul 2000 12:24:40 +0100 (BST)

> At 12:03 31/07/00 +0100, you wrote:
> >OK. I have a normal [or what I consider to be normal] breaker fuse
box
> >that has a breaker for upstairs lights, downstairs lights, oven,
upstairs
> >sockets, downstairs sockets etc. To make these X10 modules work
> >do I just swap the breacker for the X10 module?
>
> No, you must keep the existing breakers- they are there to protect the
> wiring.  Say you currently have wall switches and ceiling roses- you
can
> put the X10 module in near the ceiling rose, and wire the switch to
the X10
> module instead.

OK so know I know what the module does.

> It sounds like you might be best leaving it to an electrician or an
> electrically competent friend to do, sorry!  There's definite
potential for
> injury, either immediately by not appreciating the dangers, or long
term by
> wiring something badly and causing a fire.  If you are sure you can do
it,
> get a good DIY manual, read how domestic wiring usually works, and
have a
> look at the various X10 documentation around the web to see where it
fits in.

I know how the wiring works! Just not how the X10 part fits in. It looks
like that I'd probably be better off with the Inline modules for each
light switch. I was looking for a quick win situation to put timer
control on my lights but it doesn't look like I'm going to get it
:[. [I've had the house recently rewired so I'm a bit limited in
my options].

Regards,
Neil.

Long Distance Savings! Click Here!