RE: DIN modules question

  • To: ukha_d@xxxxxxx
  • Subject: RE: DIN modules question
  • From: James Hoye <jhoye@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 31 Jul 2000 07:14:44 -0400

> OK. I have a normal [or what I consider to be normal] breaker fuse box
> that has a breaker for upstairs lights, downstairs lights,=20
> oven, upstairs
> sockets, downstairs sockets etc. To make these X10 modules work
> do I just swap the breacker for the X10 module?

Not having any X10 modules myself (so I may be wrong here) I would say NO.
Unless the X10 DIN module offers over-current protection, replacing an
existing MCB (breaker) with a similarly sized X10 DIN module will not
protect the circuit from over-current (eg. short circuit, faulty
insulation=
,
faulty wiring) and could pose a fire hazard.  You should take the load from
the MCB into the X10 module, and then from the X10 to the circuit in
question.  Obviously the X10 module will control the entire circuit, and if
this is you lighting circuit then this wouldn't be a very good idea.
Bette=
to run a cable from the X10 module directly to the light you wish to
control, or you could try (assuming you have ready access) installing the
X10 module in an enclosure and siting that above the light you wish to
control.  That way you don't need to run a dedicated cable from the
consume=
unit to the light.  Ready access means that you can get to it to replace
th=
unit if it dies and not have to wreck any floor/celing in the process.

James (H)

Spend your money on the things you enjoy=85NOT your bills.
Join beMANY! get LOW rates on your long distance TODAY.=20=20
Click for details.
http://click.egroups.com/1/6840/9/_/2065/_/965042193/