RE: X-10 interference?

  • To: ukha_d <ukha_d@xxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: X-10 interference?
  • From: Keith Doxey <keith.doxey@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 27 Jul 2000 10:38:05 +0100

Hi Steve,

Its always best to have the controller as central as possible, that way all
devices should get roughly the same signal level.

What I was trying to explain in my description of filters was that a
properly designed filter shouldnt cause problems with X10.

The two main types of filter components are..

CHOKES - present a high impedance to AC preventing it from passing through
CAPACITORS - present a low impedance to AC allowing it to pass through.

The basics of good filter are try not to let stuff in (chokes), get rid of
anything that gets through (capacitors).

If it has chokes on the input then these will stop or seriously attenuate
the X10 signal from getting INTO the plugboard. There should be no effect
on
the X10 (mains) side of the filter. Any X10 or other crud that succeeds in
getting through the chokes will then get SHORTED OUT by the capacitors
preventing it interfering with the AV kit.

However, chokes are quite bulky and expensive so many filters dont bother
with them, they simply put capacitors across the mains to short out
interference. Due to the lack of a choke to block high frequency AC
signals,
this includes the X10. Its not a good type of filter because the capacitors
bear the full brunt of any surges.

It could also be that your plugboard has taken a hit and the filter has
died.

Do you really NEED the filter plugstrip. I dont use anything other than
plain old 4 way dis-boards and dont have any problems.

As to relocating the PC, the PC itself could be attenuating the X10
transmissions. Some people have mentioned problems whenever the PC is
plugged into the same outlet as an X10 module. You could leave the Pc where
it is and run a longer cable on the X10 interface to relocate that
somewhere
more central. Before you run loads of cable just get a mains extension
lead,
plug it in somewhere central, run it back to where the PC is located and
plug the X10 interface into it to see if that inproves matters.

Hope that helps

Keith

http://click.egroups.com/1/7017/9/_/2065/_/964690797/