RE: [comfort] Better by Design? - (RANT!)

  • To: comfort@xxxxxxx, ukha_d@xxxxxxx
  • Subject: RE: [comfort] Better by Design? - (RANT!)
  • From: "Paul Gordon" <paul_gordon@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 26 Jul 2000 08:34:30 BST

Uncanny! - that was exactly my first thought! - it occurred to me that the
electric lock strikes required (one per door), are going to cost at last
£30-£40 each?.... and we all know how much X10 lamp/appliance modules cost,
one or two of which are also required for their system, and there was no
mention at all in the programme of a central controller, then there's the
cost of the PIR's and keyfob TXmitter..... and either a DIY fitting (cost
in
time/lost earnings) or a PSE fitting, - chippies cost £100/day (ish)

NO WAY could it be done for a penny under £300!!

Paul G.

>Paul
>
>Couldn't agree with you more.  I missed the beginning of the program
but as
>soon as I started watching Comfort and X-10 just came to mind.  What I
want
>to know is how they think they can produce a full system for around
£100.
>Can you see any alarm company selling such a product to individuals for
>this
>sort of price.  As the  owner of the alarm company said she was in
business
>to make a profit, where's the profit in a £100 system.
>
>David Dixon
>  ----------
>From: Paul Gordon
>To: comfort@xxxxxxx; ukha_d@xxxxxxx
>Subject: [comfort] Better by Design? - (RANT!)
>Date:  25 July 2000 22:19
>
>Did anyone just see the "Better by Design" programme on
Channel 4?

>It was all about designing a "better" home security system...
>
>The two designers faced with the challenge came up with a car-like
central
>locking system for the house - keyfob operated, with electric lock
strikes,
>powerline data transmission (ala X10) between the locks, AND between
>lights/appliances (VERY ala X10). They worked with a Nottingham based
>security company to design & build the prototypes, and at the end
when they
>demoe'd their conception to the MD of the company, they were all very
>impressed with each other for having been so clever, and all concerned
were
>amazed that no-one had thought of it before!!!
>
>What amazed me the most was that all of those people THOUGHT that
no-one
>had
>thought of it before!!  we've all been doing this kind of stuff for
years!!
>  - but they think they've just invented it!!
>
>I saw NOTHING in the programme that could not be achieved easily with
>either
>a Comfort or Homevision based HA system and X10.
>
>The security company involved (I think they were called "UK
alarms") were
>described in the programme as being "innovative" and "at
the leading edge
>of
>security technology" - PISH AND TISH! - they never once even
uttered the
>phrase X10, and never mentioned that there are already products on the
>market (Comfort) that do all this (and more).
>
>I think the CH4 researchers want a red hot poker up the jacksie for so
>comprehensively failing to uncover these facts and feature them on the
>programme! - Andrew, where were you!! - you should have just been on
TV!

>Still I suppose it does serve to bring the technology into public
>awareness...
>

>Cheers.
>
>Mr. Angry

>It's the End Of The Line for My Shipping Broker.

>Important:
>
>Internet communications are not necessarily secure and may be
intercepted
>or changed after they are sent.
>The Abbey National Group does not accept liability for any such
changes. If
>you wish to confirm the origin or content of this communication, please
>contact the sender using an alternative means of communication.
>
>This communication does not create or modify any contract.
>
>If you are not the intended recipient of this communication you should
>destroy it without copying, disclosing or otherwise using its contents.
>Please notify the sender immediately of the error.
>
>The Abbey National Group comprises Abbey National plc and its
subsidiary
>group of companies.
>
>Abbey National plc. Registered Office: Abbey House, Baker Street,
London,