Re: Better by Design? - (RANT!)

>Did anyone just see the "Better by Design" programme on
Channel 4?

Yep - I watched it too, expecting some great stuff.

> (snip)
>
>What amazed me the most was that all of those people THOUGHT that
no-one h=
ad
>thought of it before!!  we've all been doing this kind of stuff for
years!=
!
>- but they think they've just invented it!!

This is television remember, and as with most "for the masses"
programs,
they don't go to a lot of effort to really investigate things, or to
pass on all the relevant information.

>I saw NOTHING in the programme that could not be achieved easily with
eith=
er
>a Comfort or Homevision based HA system and X10.

Indeed, or with lots of other systems.  It was very like ideas I've got
(and I'm sure many others have too) for intruder deterrence, and the
addition of a cheap camera gives you pictures of whoever's snooping
around the house as well.

> (snip)
>
>I think the CH4 researchers want a red hot poker up the jacksie for so
>comprehensively failing to uncover these facts and feature them on the
>programme! - Andrew, where were you!! - you should have just been on
TV!

Like I said - TV for the masses doesn't have to be comprehensive, or
even in a lot of cases, accurate.  Such is life....

>Still I suppose it does serve to bring the technology into public
>awareness...

True, but now they'll all head for UK Alarms thinking they're the only
suppliers of "cutting edge" security systems.

It might be worth visiting the C4 web site, which they said had a
section on the program, and maybe sending them a few opinions, or
suggestions for future programs.  Maybe we could get some of the ever
growing UKHA community featured, along with their "state of the
art"
high-tech homes :-)

David P.

--=20
David_Paterson =3D david.paterson@xxxxxxx =A6 david.paterson@vissci.=
com;

R & D programmer        There are three kinds of people in the world -
Visual Sciences Ltd.      those who can count, and those who can't...

Free, Unlimited Calls Anywhere!
Conference in the whole family on the same call.
Let the fights begin!  Visit Firetalk.com - Click below.
http://click.egroups.com/1/5476/9/_/2065/_/964571575/