IR extenders/repeaters/keyboards etc.

  • To: ukha_d@xxxxxxx
  • Subject: IR extenders/repeaters/keyboards etc.
  • From: James Hoye <jhoye@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 25 Jul 2000 12:22:58 -0400

Some further information:

http://www.mitedu.freeserve.co.uk/Circuits/Interface/irext.htm
shows how to
construct a hardwired point to point IR extender/repeater.

Of course, you may be able to use multiple receivers (ie. one in each room)
with the one emitter, but this may cause problems if two signals are sent
at
the same time from different rooms.  However, it may be that this is pretty
unlikely in practice.

Now that my new bedroom is very nearly complete (just some recessed LV
halogen lights to fit, lighting sockets to connect up) and we've finally
moved in, I was looking rather forlornly at the single gang box with
blanking plate that I sneaked into the wall at the time of fitting sockets
etc ('Not more sockets!  Not another hole!  Not more mess!' said she) and
was wondering exactly how to house the intended IR receiver (forward
planning pays off I've learnt).

Of course, Keith's CAT5 AV would do the trick (just how are they coming on
Keith :) ), but as I wouldn't be using the AV capability it seems a waste
(but from Mark's page, the prototype faceplate does look very professional,
and would certainly win spouse approval!)  I found the above circuit, and I
think I'll give it a go for a few quid.  Handy now that we have a Maplins
just opened in Uxbridge where I work!

I will report any success/failure/etc back to the list if anyone's
interested, and if I can find the time amongst everything else to actually
build one.

Now to find a way of getting the emitter into the sitting room (where I of
course haven't allowed for any more cables argghhhhhhh.....) without
hacking
the wall/decor about.  NB hacking the wall/decor is NOT an option, and I
shall be chastised for even daring to think about it.  Just how I'm going
explain that I'm going to be CAT5/AV/HA/'every conceivable category' flood
wiring our next house I really don't know.  Of course, selfbuilding is my
preferred option - but again, she can't see the point!

James (H)

http://click.egroups.com/1/7017/9/_/2065/_/964542276/