RE: IR keyboard

  • To: ukha_d@xxxxxxx
  • Subject: RE: IR keyboard
  • From: "paul gordon" <paul_gordon@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 25 Jul 2000 10:15:49 GMT

>Hi Paul,
>
>I dont envy you the task of working out the Hex codes.

Me neither! - one problem is that Prontoedit doesn't (AFAIK) have an
immediate or monitor window, where I can observe the data that is being
received in real-time. The only option is to learn the code, then go back
&
review what has been learned. - Very time consuming, not very intuitive,
and
damn hard to work out what's what!

Do any Pronto-owners on the list have any experience / suggestions as to
how
I might go about this? - anyone know of any tools which will let me monitor
the IR datastream in real-time?

One other thought I had was to dispense with the IR keyboard for Winamp
control, fit an IRDA port to the PC, configured as a COM port, and use a
COM
port control plugin for winamp control. - then IR control of Winamp is
independent of the keyboard control of the rest of Windows, and I could
hapily use any IR codes that produced a recognisable ASCII datastream to
appear at the COM port. - So I'd probably still have to use the IR keyboard
to configure the actual codes initially... (making this up as I go along!)

>CAT5 Progress..... not much since the meeting although I have requested
>some
>info from a company who make plastic cases. The cases you saw for the
>prototypes are not the ideal shape for the circuitry and are awkward to
>machine nicely.

they sure did look a tight fit!

>I dont think I will follow Grahams ideas and make them from wood though
!!!

What is it with Graham and his wood?? - he want's everything made out of
wood!!         :-)

>I'm a bit pre-occupied at the moment as my wife's car was destroyed by
>dickhead on a Ducati 916 last Friday. Thankfully no-one was hurt and my
>daughter wasnt in the car at the time. He was doing between 60-70mph
coming
>up the outside of traffic in a 30 limit just as my wife pulled away
from
>the
>nursery where she works. He embedded his bike in the nearside headlamp
>pushing the chassis and wing almost 9 inches out from the side of the
car.
>Miraculously he just got up and walked about but I bet he has a good
few
>bruises. spent all Friday night at the hospital getting Sharon checked
out
>and most of Saturday arranging for the car to be collected :-((

Phew - that was (un)lucky! - glad to hear everyone's OK.

Paul G.