BT corporate salesdroids

  • To: ukha_d@xxxxxxx
  • Subject: BT corporate salesdroids
  • From: "Harrison, Mark (Alliance)" <mark.harrison@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 21 Jul 2000 10:57:42 +0100

A true story...

An office in Outer London, 4 weeks ago.

IT Manager (to IT Tech):
- ADSL, VPN, 50% of our staff home-based by the end of the year. Reduction
in cost over current ISDN solution. Make it so.

(IT Tech rummages on Internet)

IT Tech (to BT salesdroid):
- Can I run a Shiva VPN client over a single-user ADSL implementation,
talking to BT Internet. If I can, then my manager wants to order lots of
them. Oh, and I'll end up wanting a much bigger megastream as well.

BT Salesdroid (to IT Tech):
- I have no idea what you're talking about. Have you seen our ADSL website?
Oh, you have, here, let me get an engineer to phone you.

The same office, 3 weeks ago.

BT Tech (to IT Tech):=20
- What do you want to run over it
- NBT, to a bunch of hosts which use IP addresses allocated to someone
else=
,
so we need to do some clever stuff with routing tables within the VPN
client.
- Hmmm Good Question. Probably we can make it work... tell you what, we've
got a test installation in the City. Why don't I book you a half-day in it,
then you can come down with all the kit you want, and run all the tests you
want.
- Good call.

IT Tech (to IT Manager):
- (Updates manager)... any problem with that?
- No worries.

The same office, 2 weeks ago.

BT Salesdroid (to IT Tech):
- Got your confirmed date for use of our test suite for your VPN trial. Is
this date OK
- OK

The same office, 1 week ago.

IT Manager (to IT Tech)
- How's it going
- I'm going up to BT next week, got the suite booked for a half-day for our
VPN trial.
- Keep me posted. Directorate keen for me to confirm IT costs for
home-base=
staff. We've agreed that we'll offer all staff who would like to be
home-based at least 2 days a week an additional =A31,000 a year taxable
towards their provision of space. Quite a lot of people are interested, and
we need to make it work.

The same office, today.

BT Salesdroid (to IT Tech)
- Just phoning to confirm your booking tomorrow. What tests are you running
again?
- Virtual Private Network
- Oh well, that's good, since our test suite isn't connected to the
Interne=
- One more time???

IT Tech (to IT Manager)
- (Explains situation)