Re: Whole House Phone wiring, security wiring

  • To: ukha_d@xxxxxxx
  • Subject: Re: Whole House Phone wiring, security wiring
  • From: Nigel Orr <Nigel.Orr@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 20 Jul 2000 17:42:38 +0100

At 16:55 20/07/00 +0100, you wrote:
> > nearly =A3400 for re-wiring and installing 4 movement detectors.
The
> > surveyor
> > even said they only cost =A320 each. The cable runs will be quite
short=
. The
> > central controller is of course still there.

I'm not sure what normal security company prices are like, as I do my
own=20
wiring, but the cost of the detector and cable is not going to be the
big=20
part of it.  It does take a while to run cables neatly, though =A3400 does=
=20
sound quite generous at first.  Take off =A3150 for parts, =A3250 labour.
=
If=20
there are cables there that can be used to pull the replacements
through,=20
it should probably be less... if you have concrete or chipboard floors, it=
=20
could be more!

If you are DIYing, and have thought about it beforehand, I find a
typical=20
run takes about 1/2 a day or less, some might take 10 minutes, some
might=20
take a day, it depends how your house is put together and how much you
plan=
=20
in advance.

But bear in mind that it's as easy to run 5 cables on a route as it is
to=20
run 1 (pretty much), so you might be able to convince them to run more
to=20
the same places for not much extra.

> > Can anyone advise on where I can get info on how to do this?

I've got some info, with lots of links, at http://ha.orrs.net under "Wiring=
=20
for Home Automation".  I've not heard much feedback from folk that
have=20
read it, but the counter keeps going up, so I hope it's useful to
someone..=
.

> and link them up to something like HomeVision (www.csi3.com from
memory)=
,

Like Ray, I'd recommend Comfort, particularly if the first use for it is=20
security.  It's reliable, expandable, well thought out and well
supported=20
and basically "does what it says on the tin".  Bear in mind with
my=20
following comments that I've not used HV, but other folks comments suggest=
=20
that it is automation first, security second, Comfort is probably the
other=
=20
way round, take your pick to suit your needs!

> > I'd like to integrate my HomeVision monitored solution into a
remotely
> > monitored Call Centre.

Comfort can do that, and seems to be designed for central station=20
integration, with various data formats to suit them.

> Is it possible ?  It appears to be done in the States, but I haven't
fou=
nd
> > it over here (in the UK).

I've not heard of anyone but big companies doing it.  Bear in mind that=20
Comfort can call several people if there's a problem, so you might not
even=
=20
need a central station if some of them are nearby- I've had a couple of=20
calls from my system, for various reasons, it's very useful!

> and therefore demand proprietary solutions, rather than mine (or is
ther=
> > a standard) ?

Someone once said that the great thing about standards are that there
are=20
so many of them to choose from- that seems to be the case for central=20
station reporting, from looking at the array of options that Comfort can
do=

I should say my only connection with Comfort is as a satisfied customer,=20
though hopefully I'll soon get round to developing a planned add-on for
it.=
..

And you mention phone wiring in the title, though I don't think you did in=
=20
the question- basically you need 2 pairs for each extension, you can use=20
the other 2 pairs for another extension if you want, though you might
get=20
some crosstalk between the lines- in general run a separate cable for each=
=20
system- phones, a/v, ethernet, digital data, alarm sensors etc etc-
cable=20
is cheap, adding an extra one later is a nuisance, and if you plan to
skimp=
=20
on it now you'll find there is no room to squeeze one more unexpected=20
function in later...

HTH,

Nigel

Want to wax the floors or light up the town?=20
http://click.egroups.com/1/7016/9/_/2065/_/964111403/