RE: Connecting BT lines into home cat5 network

  • To: ukha_d <ukha_d@xxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: Connecting BT lines into home cat5 network
  • From: Keith Doxey <keith.doxey@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 20 Jul 2000 08:47:29 +0100

Graham,

<SHAMELESS PLUG TIME>
take a look at

http://www.btinternet.com/~krazy.keith/telephones/pots.html
or
http://www.btinternet.com/~krazy.keith/telephones

for more info on wiring phones.
</SHAMELESS PLUG TIME>

As long as the two wires are the SAME diameter there is no problem. Krone
IDC connectors were designed from the start to accomodate 2 wires. 3 is a
NO
NO, although you can get away with it I wouldnt recommend it.

Also the punchdown tool comes with a clip to disable the cutter on the
tool.
This is designed for when you want to common lots of things together.
Punchdown and cutoff the wiring to the sockets at the lowest level of the
terminal and then disable the cutter so you can daisychain the commoning
wire to each of the points you wish to common.

Thats the beauty of IDC. You dont need to cut or strip the wire because the
act of biting into the insulation makes the connection. Thats why both
wires
must be the same size or the larger one will force the connectors apart and
the smaller wire will not be connected or a poor connection.

Keith

Old school buds here:
http://click.egroups.com/1/7081/9/_/2065/_/964079295/