RE: Connecting BT lines into home cat5 network

  • To: ukha_d <ukha_d@xxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: Connecting BT lines into home cat5 network
  • From: Keith Doxey <keith.doxey@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 19 Jul 2000 14:35:14 +0100

Hi All,

Just checked a couple of our adapters with a multimeter.

Nigel is correct in what he says....couldnt disagree with a mate could I !

However, there are differences between the two types of adaptors

Master adapter fitted with ringing capacitor between 2&3 in BT socket
Colour 	 - RJ45 - BT Socket - Function
WHITE/Orange -  1	-	4	-	Earth (seldom used)
BLUE/White   -  4	-	2	-	B leg
WHITE/Blue   -  5 -	5	-	A leg
NOTE....Pin BT3 the bell wire is NOT connected through to RJ45.
Master adapters are really intended for PBX extensions only.

If you have multiple phones you should use secondary adapters and the point
from which the line is distributed should be fed from a master socket or
have a capacitor connected to the krone connectors at the patch panel.
Secondary adapter (no capacitor fitted)
Colour 	 - RJ45 - BT Socket - Function
WHITE/Orange -  1	-	4	-	Earth (seldom used)
ORANGE/White -  2 -	3	-	Bell Wire (Ringing)
BLUE/White   -  4	-	2	-	B leg
WHITE/Blue   -  5 -	5	-	A leg

The neatest way of doing this is to have a block of sockets on your patch
panel that have the required pins connected together so that you just plug
normal patch cords in and patch over your structured wiring. Run a bit of
cable from the rear of the rack to your BT Master socket.

You can also just cut patch cords in half and join all the wires up but
that
gets pretty messy :-(

As Nigel said, there is a removeable plate that you are allowed to wire to
on the more modern NTE5. If you have an older master socket you are not
supposed to wire directly to it but .......

.......lots of people do. (I DIDNT REALLY SAY THAT) :-))

HTH

Keith

BTW: Did you buy that new car yet?
If not, check this site out.
They're called CarsDirect.com and it's a pretty sweet way to buy a car.
http://click.egroups.com/1/6847/9/_/2065/_/964013771/