RE: DIY HA bus

Hi James,

To quote you from your original message.....
"Its already been done" .....well sort of.

Most commercial architectural lighting systems follow that kind of model.
Low voltage keypads, touchscreens or other sensors, connected via an RS485
serial network to communicate with the central controller. This then
communicates with the dimmer packs or switch packs to control the lighting
or other loads. (Blinds, AirCon, Heating etc). The control packs can be all
in one place or distributed around the building.

It is by far the most reliable method as everything is hardwired (something
that Nigel and myself both prefer). One of the big benefits is the
centralised control racks to make servicing easier. Wiring is all homerun
to one or more control pack locations and a low voltage data cable is
daisychained to all the user interface points.

>From a retrofit point of view it is not easy. Typically the points
where
you want the user interface have lightswitches wired to the actual fixture
to be controlled and the mains supply is daisy chained to all the light
fixtures. This means serious if not complete rewiring to install such a
system.

Having said that, I intend to follow that route when I move to my next
house.

Keith