Homeseer & IR question...

  • To: ukha_d@xxxxxxx
  • Subject: Homeseer & IR question...
  • From: "paul gordon" <paul_gordon@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 04 Jul 2000 10:07:16 GMT

All,

I'm in a bit of a quandry....

I REALLY want to run my HA PC on Win2K (as opposed to Win9X) - not a
Windows
Vs Linux argument - it's just that Homeseer only runs on Windows!!   ;-)

I have it all set up & working, but I now want to add an IR interface
it....

Have you guessed my problem yet?...

All the IR interfaces that are supported by Homeseer and which are
reasonably priced, seem to be exclusively parallel port devices - therefore
NOT an option under Win2K. - I only want to consider devices that are
directly supported by Homeseer, as I have neither the time, or the
inclination to do loads of programming to make it work (or the skill
probably...)

Under Win2K, I am limited to serial port devices only, and the ones that
are
supported are just not an option due to cost... $150 USD minimum....

However, I did come across another device called the RedRat2 - UK based,
serial port, looked pretty good, and only £70GBP. I asked Rich at Keware
about supporting this device, and he said "maybe"....

Q: Has anybody used this device, and if so, what can you say about it?

Q: Can anybody suggest ANY sensibly priced IR interface that will work
under
Win2K (by sensible I mean less than £100GBP)

Here's hoping....

Cheers.

Paul G.