RE: AD conversions

  • To: ukha_d <ukha_d@xxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: AD conversions
  • From: Keith Doxey <keith.doxey@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 3 Jul 2000 13:51:09 +0100

Hi Ray,

You need to allow upto 15 volts as a car with a fully charged battery will
be about 14.4 volts.

Simply add a voltage divider to tap of the required voltage. Your source
signal is 0-15v you need 0-5v for the converter so you need to reduce it to
a third of what it was.

dodgy calculations follow as they are affected by the source impedance of
the driving signal and the input impedance of the A/D converter but in most
cases....source impeadance will be low, A/D input impedance will be high so
can be fairly safely ignored.

Simplest voltage divider is 3 x 1kohm resistors in series. Connect one end
to source and the other end to ground. Connect the A/D converter to the
junction of the 2 lower resistors in the chain i.e. the grounded end. That
will give you a 0-5v range. If you get the wrong one you will get 0-10v.

HTH

Keith

Win $5000! Click Here:
http://click.egroups.com/1/5941/9/_/2065/_/962629195/