Transmeta and Linux to run the future home

  • To: "Ukha_D@xxxxxxx Com" <ukha_d@xxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Transmeta and Linux to run the future home
  • From: "Mark McCall" <mark@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 29 Jun 2000 17:13:11 +0100

http://www.zdnet.co.uk/news/2000/25/ns-16295.html

Thu, 29 Jun 2000 07:43:55 GMT

Will Knight

The wired home of the future will have Web pads and all manner of networked
appliances using Transmeta hardware and the Linux operating system

PC manufacturer Gateway believes that Transmeta and Linux will lead a
revolution in home technology, representatives said at a presentation in
Ireland Wednesday.

Gateway signed a deal in May with start-up chip company Transmeta and
Internet company AOL to manufacture Web pads and intends to expand this
into
all manner of home networked appliances.

"I think that some of you may have seen the agreement we signed with
Transmeta recently," says European senior vice president Mike
Swalwell.
"That highlights the use of devices in the home. We see real growth in
this
and the micro server in the home."

Manager of emerging technologies at Gateway Michael Hughes says that the
Web
devices Gateway currently has in mind for the wired home of the future will
use Transmeta hardware and the Linux operating system. "We looked at
what we
wanted to do and Transmeta had the best solution," says Hughes.
"Gateway
sees a networked home using a residential gateway to access a whole range
of
appliances throughout the home."

According to Hughes, variations on the Web pad will be found in virtually
all rooms of the house of tomorrow offering instant and easy to use
Internet
access. Gateway does not yet have a firm date set for when these devices
will start appearing in in Europe.

Swalwell also does not think that Gateway's alliance with Transmeta will
affect the company's relationships with Intel and AMD. "I think it's
complimentary," he says. It is not clear whether Gateway is thinking
of
making laptops using Transmeta's Crusoe chips.

The UKs Premier Home Automation Site
http://www.automatedhome.co.uk

http://click.egroups.com/1/4633/9/_/2065/_/962295220/