RE: Cat 5 external ???

  • To: ukha_d <ukha_d@xxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: Cat 5 external ???
  • From: Keith Doxey <keith.doxey@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 27 Jun 2000 08:34:55 +0100

Hi Campbell,

The extremes of temperature wont be a problem. What you need to be wary of is water, rodent damage and other physical damage.
Use a hosepipe or similar as a conduit for the CAT5 without any joins that would allow the ingress of water. Bury it at least 12" below the surface to minimise the possibility of physical damage. You just have to hope that the rats dont take a liking to it.

Dont be tempted to run CAT5 externally above ground as the UV light will cause the insulation to break up very quickly. That also applies to ordinary telephone cable as well. Only black sheathed cable is UV resistant.

Hope that helps

Keith