RE: DOS Command line X10

  • To: ukha_d@xxxxxxx
  • Subject: RE: DOS Command line X10
  • From: "paul gordon" <paul_gordon@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 26 Jun 2000 13:13:45 GMT

>I found that annoying as well because I too have plugboards connected
>the
>PC's so that speakers, modems and printers all go off.

Likewise, but I have now invested in a couple of APC UPS's as well, so I
can
use the single switch on the front of that to turn everything on/off...

>One possible way round it would be to fit a relay inside the power
supply
>control the monitor socket. Power the relay from the +12v line in the
PSU
>and you have a psuedo AT power supply that will turn everything off
when
>you
>shut the machine down.

Why even bother opening up the power supply - just use a "spare"
internal
drive power header?...

>As an aside to that.... we have Compaq machines at work with ATX power
>supplies and I tried in vain to get info out of Compaq to see if they
could
>be made to boot up automatically after a power failure. They couldnt
see
>why
>we would want to do that when there was a perfectly good button on the
>front
>for you to turn it on !

There seems to be some variation in how this is implemented, but in _many_
cases there should be a BIOS setting that dictates the behaviour when power
is applied to the PSU - several of my PC's give the choice of powering up
as
soon as mains is supplied to the ATX power supply, or waiting for the front
panel power switch to be pressed before powering up - this setting is
essential if you want to power cycle your PC unattended.

If you don't have such a setting, then your only choice is to replace the
front panel power switch with a relay, or a powerflash module or some such,
so that you could simulate pressing the front panel switch, and automate
that... Since the front panel power switch invariably just connects to a
2-pin header on the the motherboard, it's pretty easy to disconnect the
switch, and replace it with something of your own...

This of course doesn't help with your actual problem of not having a
switched outlet to supply the other components....

Paul G.