RE: Re: Occupancy Sensors and No Light Switches

  • To: <ukha_d@xxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: Re: Occupancy Sensors and No Light Switches
  • From: "Dan Hoehnen" <dhoehnen@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 23 Jun 2000 12:22:27 -0400

I am not positive, but it is my understanding that Bill's house uses either
a RF or IR device that is worn by each person.  Each device has a unique
ID,
allowing the house to know WHO is WHERE in the house.

I have no idea if this is based on a commercially available system or if it
is custom designed for Bill.

Another interesting option is a proximity sensor.  I'm pretty sure I have a
link to one on my HA Index site, www.homeautomationindex.com.  I think it
is
made by Russell Bic (maybe www.bic.com).  Anyway, it detects a person near
the sensor, whether or not the person is moving.  This may be a solution.
have not tried it, but I think I remember people using it with good success
on the comp.home.automation newsgroup.

Dan

> I understand that the 'Gates residence' controls room functions
(Music,
> pictures etc) by knowing not only that the room is occupied, but who
is
> in there?
>
> Anybody know how this works and (more to the point) if us mortals can
> afford it?
>
> Nick

which it
> > opens - so that
> > the door itself never breaks the beam regardless of whether
> > its open or
> > closed...  This could be high enough of the ground to avoid
> > pets, but still
> > always "see" people passing through.
> >
> > A combination of both of these types of detector would
> > probably be most
> > reliable - allied with some reasonably simple "state"
> > tracking - IE start
> > off knowing the room is empty, then using the detectors
> > combined inputs,
> > it's possible to keep a counter of exactly how many occupants
> > are in each
> > room at any time.
> >
> > Entry or exit is determined by the order in which the zones
> > are tripped, and
> > the delay between each zone. - Of course, it's ALWAYS going
> > to be possible
> > to fool any of these systems, but only if you're in the habit of
> > long-jumping through the doors in your house!!
> >
> > A front door is a far more tricky proposition - what about
> > when someone
> > comes to the door, and you have a conversation with them -
> > both the inside
> > and outside pressure pads would be tripped concurrently (although
not
> > simultaneously), and a break-beam would not be tripped at
> > all! - anyone care
> > to think about how you'd program for this scenario??
> >
> > No doubt about it though - this is going to need a lot of zones!!
- a

*****************************

> > >This message is intended only for use by the person to whom
> > >it is addressed. It may contain information that is
privileged and
> > >confidential. Its content does not constitute a formal
commitment by
> > >Lombard Odier. If you are not the intended recipient of this
message,
> > >kindly notify the sender and destroy this message. Thank you.

> > ----------
> > Take 20 friends to Vegas on New Year's courtesy of Expedia.com.
> > Win the airfare, a suite at Bellagio and $15,000. Or win 2
roundtrip
> > tickets anywhere in the U.S. given away daily. Click for a
> > chance to win.

> Win a trip to Vegas for you and 20 friends, $15,000 and a suite at
> Bellagio for New Year's, courtesy of Expedia.com. Or win 2 roundtrip
> tickets anywhere in the U.S. given away daily. Click for a chance to
win.

Redecorating your house, but can't see to come up with the money?
Rate businesses in your area to win $5,000. HURRY--CONTEST ENDS 6/30
http://click.egroups.com/1/5551/9/_/2065/_/961777329/