RE: Armour cabling/domain registering

  • To: ukha_d@xxxxxxx
  • Subject: RE: Armour cabling/domain registering
  • From: Nigel Orr <Nigel.Orr@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 23 Jun 2000 10:25:40 +0100

At 09:52 23/06/00 +0100, you wrote:
>It is there for physical protection of the cable NOT electrical
protection.
>The armour MUST be earthed but there must also be a dedicated core in
the
>cable that is the primary earth for whatever is at the other end.
>
>At least....thats how I understand it to be based on observing the
>practices employed by the site electrical contractors at work.

As usual, it's a little more complicated than that... this was a
news:uk.d-i-y posting from recently- if any of
it doesn't make sense, feel
free to ask!  I don't have a copy of the Regs (aka 'The 16th Edition' aka
'The IEE Wiring Regs' aka 'BS7671') to hand, but I can look up the
referenced table if you can't find them, or a guide to them, in your local
library.

>Re: Meter Tails
>Author:Andy Wade <ajwade@xxxxxxx>
>Date:2000/01/15
>Forum: uk.d-i-y
>
>Rick Hughes wrote ...
>
> > Did [can] you use the steel armour as the earth ?
>
>It is perfectly in order to use the steel armour wires as a circuit
>protective (earth) conductor (CPC), HOWEVER, you must verify that the
>cross sectional area (CSA) is adequate.  BS 7671 (the wiring
regulations)
>gives you two methods of determining 'adequate'.  You can either
calculate
>the minimum CSA using the adiabatic equation (see regulation 543-01-03)
or
>select a size using Table 54G.
>
>The calculation method requires knowledge of the earth fault loop
>impedance of the incoming supply, that of the distribution circuit in
>question, and also the operating characteristics of the relevant fuse.
>Using Table 54G avoids the need for calculation, but is a more
>conservative method and usually requires a larger minimum size than you
>would determine by calculation.
>
>For live conductors in the range 16 to 35mm^2 Table 54G gives the
minimum
>CPC size as 16mm^2 if copper, or 16*k1/k2 mm^2 for other materials,
where
>k1 is the adiabatic k-value for the phase conductor (from Table 43A)
and
>k2 is that for the CPC.  Assuming that the 'armoured cable' in question
is
>2-core 25mm^2 shaped-conductor, XLPE insulated type to BS 5467, we have
>k1=143 and k2=46.  The minimum CPC size then works out to
16*(143/46)mm^2,
>i.e.49.7mm^2.  Unfortunately the armour CSA for that cable is listed as
>43mm^2, so this will not comply with Table 54G.
>
>So (if still wishing to avoid detailed calculation) you could either
(a)
>run a separate 16mm^2 copper CPC, (b) use a three-core armoured cable,
or
>(c) increase the two-core SWA cable size to 35mm^2 -- this has 62mm^2
>armour CSA and so _will_ comply with Table 54G (problem solved).
>Personally I would go for option (c).  It will be cheaper than (b) and
>tidier than (a).  It will also reduce the voltage drop and power loss
on
>the circuit, which I think was fairly long (15m?).

Hope that helps- it's always worth a DejaNews search on uk.d-i-y for this
sort of query, all things electrical (and mechanical, structural and
plumbingical!) are discussed there in depth...

Nigel

Redecorating your house, but can't see to come up with the money?
Rate businesses in your area to win $5,000. HURRY--CONTEST ENDS 6/30
http://click.egroups.com/1/5551/9/_/2065/_/961752402/