Occupancy Sensors and No Light Switches

  • To: "'UKHA'" <ukha_d@xxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Occupancy Sensors and No Light Switches
  • From: "Winspear, James" <james.winspear@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 22 Jun 2000 15:28:09 +0100

Hi,
Having convinced my future wife of the use of a few simple PIRs triggering
very dark hallway and stair lights a copious amount of alcohol a few nights
ago has given me the task of using no light switches what-so-ever, if
possible !  Help, how do I go about this ?

We live in an old cottage, with very low ceilings which is fairly dark
anyway, and currently no plaster ! (or lights/electrics for that matter)

I'd envisage a setup such as :
- Secret Switches for manual override, where deemed necessary

- Pronto-IR-HomeVision-X10 control of all lighting circuits

- Single PIR/Ultrasound/Occupancy sensors in each area (primed around
doorways etc) feeding both the alarm system and also HV

- East and West facing external light-level detectors (we don't really have
any windows on North/South anyway).

- Some nifty HV programming, per zone, so that we could setup :-
~ Zone indication that always turned the lights on
~ Zone indication that turned the lights on if the East/West facing
light-level dipped below certain level
~ Variable length of no-indication before the lights turned off (so that
the
stairs would turn-off after 20 seconds of no-indication, but that the
living-room(couch-potato room) would only turn-off after 15 minutes of
inactivity - possibly deferred until no TV AC current is sensed).

Has anyone also gone to this level of automation ?  It all seems a
reasonable aspiration, but I'm unsure of the practicality of it all.
Does anyone have any Occupancy Sensor recommendations ?  As we're trying
to minimise the visual intrusion I want to avoid the larger wall mounted
varieties, and want the smaller ceiling mounted types.

James

This message may contain information which is confidential or privileged.
If you are not the intended recipient, please advise the sender immediately
by reply e-mail and delete this message and any attachments
without retaining a copy.

SALESFORCE.COM MAKES SOFTWARE OBSOLETE
Secure, online sales force automation with 5 users FREE for 1 year!
http://click.egroups.com/1/2658/9/_/2065/_/961690163/