Re: Modulation..

  • To: ukha_d@xxxxxxx
  • Subject: Re: Modulation..
  • From: "paul gordon" <paul_gordon@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 22 Jun 2000 14:20:46 GMT

Errr.... Isn't there something of a flaw with this arrangement...

Each room would not have independant use of the Jukebox - IE all the TV's
in
the house fed in this way would have no way of controlling the jukebox, and
they would ALL have to be viewing/listening to the same output...

Which is fine if that's what you want....

But, for the sake of running nothing more than a very thin CAT5 wire to
each
room, you could put a networked PC in each room, with the soundcard
connected directly to the existing amp in that room, and the display
connected directly to the TV in the room, via SCART or phono or S-Video. -
No need for modulation (PC displays on TV's are pretty poor at the best of
times, and modulated ones even more so! - I personally think it's unusable)

If you REALLY can't run a CAT5 - you could even consider some of the
wireless LAN products that are now becoming more affordable.

OK, I grant you that this is all more expensive than a couple of
modulators,
but PC's are pretty cheap (you don't need a very high spec for MP3
playback.... my old P133 struggled a bit, but a P266 works fine), and you
could stagger the cost and do it a room at a time... and the quality of
both
the sound and video would be _SO_ much better!!

There's also the MP3-Anywhere product, which broadcasts MP3 files, in much
the same way as a "video-sender" does, but that still doesn't
give you any
local control of the jukebox, but at least it's wireless. (this has been
discussed here before).

Then there's the MP3 hardware dongle-thingy (name escapes me just now) -
this has also been discussed here before (In fact, I remember someone
saying
they had bought one...) - this is a hardware dongle that does all the MP3
decoding & playback, and so can be attached to a _much_ lower-spec (IE
cheaper) PC than would otherwise be required - it only needs to be capable
enough to run Winamp, - IE an old 486 would do..

<shameless advertisement>
I just happen to have FOUR old 486 PC's in my attic if anyone's interested,
- 2 x Dell & 2 x Compaq - all slimline desktop style cases, all
complete &
working, all with windows 95 installed. (Base units only though) - Free to
anyone who wants to come & collect them.. ;-)
</shameless advertisement>

HTH.

Paul G.