[sort of OT] Mail Clients

  • To: 'UKHA Discussion' <ukha_d@xxxxxxx>
  • Subject: [sort of OT] Mail Clients
  • From: Keith Doxey <keith.doxey@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 21 Jun 2000 14:23:44 +0100

Hi All,

Just a little question about something bugging me....

I use Outlook 97 as my mail client and have noticed that some peoples
messages show nothing but have the body of the text in an attachment called
"ATT00000.txt" or something similar. The recent posting about X10
Floodlights from Michael McAree was one such posting.

Replies to that from people such as Ray Barnet also took on the same style
although I normally see Ray's messages with no problems. Messages that are
sent as text or HTML show up OK.

Do others experience the same problem or have I missed something really
basic in the setup of Outlook?
It happens on all my machines.

What Mail client are you using Michael?

Ever since we got that VERY nasty "Stages of Life" virus at work
I am
reluctant to click on any attachments even if they say *.TXT. It seems
those devious Bast^H^H^H^H Programmers at Microsoft have got all sorts of
ways to hide files even if YOU tell the machine to show all files.

The reason it spread so fast was that the virus was called
"<whatever>.TXT.shs"
but showed up in the message as
"<whatever>.TXT"
That probably explains why so many people got caught out by it. I recieved
over 20 copies in total.

You can see why I am now reluctant to click on ANY attachments and wondered
if I can change a setting so that I see the message straight away as text
or is it something wierd in the setup of the senders client.

Ray....as you replied to the message, did you see it straight off or did
you have to click the attachment?
what client are you using.

Has anyone else come across "Stages of Life" yet?
I have heard nothing about it on the news yet it hit BT much worse than
"Love Bug". It would have been even worse had it not been for the
work of
our Antivirus teams who trolled through everyones mailboxes during the
night stripping out the attachments followed by rolling out a new delivery
of Winguard at login the next day. We carried on receiving the emails but
without the destructive payload. The task of removing the virus files that
were dumped on our shared drives was not simple either :-(

Sorry for the OT post but it could have implications for us all.

Keith

SALESFORCE.COM MAKES SOFTWARE OBSOLETE
Secure, online sales force automation with 5 users FREE for 1 year!
http://click.egroups.com/1/2658/9/_/2065/_/961593939/