Re: Wiring Lights

At 12:28 21/06/00 +0100, you wrote:
>I have two outside lights both wired to a double gang wall switch in
the
>kitchen. Could I replace the double gang with an X10 single gang
switch? I'm
>not fussed about switching these lights on independently of each other.
>Would that be really dodgy in terms of electrical wiring??

It depends how they are wired.  If there is a separate switch drop from
each light to the wall switch (ie all it contains are two T&E cables),
then
it could be dodgy, as one light could now or in future be moved to another
fuse/circuit breaker, and your X10 switch would make that circuit go
live.  That's the normal way of wiring internal lights, where all the
cables come together at a ceiling rose, but probably isn't common for
external lights.

However, if you can find where the 2 lights are connected, or if there is a
supply cable into the switch box, then a separate cable off to each light
(3 or 4 in total), it should be OK.  Basically, if you can find the point
where the lights share a live and neutral, you can put a switch there.

There are still a number of possible configurations, so if you can't be
sure that you've worked out how it is all connected, ask an electrician to
have a look.

Nigel

SALESFORCE.COM MAKES SOFTWARE OBSOLETE
Secure, online sales force automation with 5 users FREE for 1 year!
http://click.egroups.com/1/2658/9/_/2065/_/961588206/