Re: More ranting from me!

On Tue, 20 Jun 2000 13:17:38 +0100, you wrote:

>Don't want to start one either. I was asked my opinion on .mp3 last
week a=
nd
>thought I ought to actually listen to the stuff first! As I have
>deliberatley steered clear of the stuff my level of knowledge in terms
of
>bit rates/encoding software is more than a little limited. I will try
to d=
>the best A/B comparison I can (see my reply to Nigel's post). If I like
wh=
at
>I hear I'll put an mp3 jukebox in the car where convenience is more of
an
>issue to me.

As you're a bit of an audio guru, and probably listen a bit more
attentively than I do, I'd be most interested in hearing about the
results of your tests.  I'm currently doing some software for MP3
encoding and decoding, and the choice of bit rate and psychoacoustic
model can make a big difference, although there aren't a lot of
published comparisons.

Luckily, most of what I'm working on is for speech, so I can get away
with pretty low quality and get really high compression, but it's quite
amazing how bad music can sound when shoved through it :-)

David P.

--=20
David_Paterson =3D david.paterson@xxxxxxx =A6 david.paterson@vissci.=
com;

R & D programmer        There are three kinds of people in the world -
Visual Sciences Ltd.      those who can count, and those who can't...

Find long lost high school friends:
http://click.egroups.com/1/5535/7/_/2065/_/961541632/