Re: Outdoor Speakers (WAS: whole house component suggestions)

  • To: ukha_d@xxxxxxx
  • Subject: Re: Outdoor Speakers (WAS: whole house component suggestions)
  • From: "paul gordon" <paul_gordon@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 20 Jun 2000 11:51:40 GMT

>A bathroom isn't the ideal environment for sound or
>electronics, so it's bound to be a compromise- and if it doesn't sound
>bit harsh you can't hear it over the shower to sing along!

Got to be better than what's there right now now though! - one of those
"shower radios" in the shape of a fish - and with AM radio only!

>You haven't done this kind of thing before, have you? :-) ... water
runs

Oh, you spotted that then did you??  ;-)

>anywhere it wants to, assisted by wind, pressure differences, capillary
>action, evaporation and condensation, gravity doesn't seem to present
much
>of a challenge... even solid barriers don't help, with changing
>temperatures on each side of the barrier affecting the relative
humidity
>and causing condensation if there's the slightest trace of water in the
>inside air.
>

>Ho Ho Ho Ho Ho!  ROTFL at the innocence of the uninitiated... sorry, I
>don't mean to be unkind, the day job is underwater acoustics, which
>involves quite a lot of keeping water out of enclosures (not just at
depth,
>even splashes or humid air)... and the previous job was in pro audio in
>Scotland, which often involves keeping water out of large and expensive
>speaker systems.  And it isn't trivial... a plastic 'raincoat' is
usually
>the easiest.  I used to try to keep the water out, IP65 rated boxes etc
>etc, but if it's possible, it's much easier to just make sure the air
can
>get round it and any water which will inevitably appear can drain away.

OK, OK!! - You win!    ;-) (me humbled!)
I submit to your obviously superior knowledge of the subject! (but then
that's what this list is for, right?)

>I wonder if Canon ever made outdoor verions of the odd looking
>wide-dispersion speakers that they made a few years ago?  They had a
driver
>pointing down at a curved reflective surface, and sounded OK, so might
be
>good for outdoor use.

I specifically thought about those when I was thinking about a design for
outdoor speakers, (weren't they designated SS50's or something?), as that
design occurred to me as well as being an obvious good choice for an
outdoor
speaker - not only inherently more weatherproof because of the shape and
orientation, but also all-round dispersion of the sound rather then
uni-directional - perfect for a garden...

>That's fine then- make some plastic 'coats', open at the bottom to let
the
>water out, and put them over the speakers.

This seems like it is going to be the simplest / most effective method?
Reckon one half of a plastic football would do the job?

>And for the water to get out... You could wrap the whole thing in cling
>film and the sound would probably be relatively unaffected, but the
water
>would appear.
>
>'roll your own', buy a speaker design book or get some software- it's
easy
>to make very odd sounding ones, and something of an art to make good
ones.

The ones I saw in Disneyland really didn't look _that_ complicated - they
were pretty open, with the actual speakers obviously high up under the top,
but some with large open areas at the sides, and some with grilles of holes
drilled in them...

And when I was in Disneyland in Paris, it was **SSING down!!

Cheers.

Paul G.