RE: Underfloor Subs (Was : Outdoor Speakers (WAS: whole house component suggestions)

  • To: ukha_d <ukha_d@xxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: Underfloor Subs (Was : Outdoor Speakers (WAS: whole house component suggestions)
  • From: Keith Doxey <keith.doxey@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 20 Jun 2000 12:19:06 +0100

NO!
not the same thing.

The Clarke gizmo attaches to the floor to physically shake the floor.
These were "proper" Sub-woofers in a sealed cabinet with a port.
They mount
between the floor joists the the port is "ported" through a hole
cut in the
floorboards to allow the sound into the room.

Imagine something like a sub that stahds on the floor firing the sound out
of the bottom, flip it up the otherway and fix it under the floorboards
with
a hole for the port. Thats how it works.

<MAD ECCENTRIC MODE>
I have considered building a sub into all that wasted space in my armchair.
that would kill two birds with one stone, subwoofer without loosing the
space, and the benefits of the Clarke transducer shaking the chair
</MAD ECCENTRIC MODE>

Keith

> >I did see some subs on This Old House
> once that were
> >made for underfloor mounting with a small ventilation style
> grill cut into
> >the carpet. I suppose if you had warm air heating you could
> pretend you had
> >put in another outlet.
>
> I've seen the very same advertised of one of the HA websites (was it
> letautomate.com??) - IIRC it's called the "Clarke underfloor
> transducer",
> and is designed to be bolted to the underside of a floor.
> (with our without
> a grille I don't know?) - I thought about this (very briefly)
> as I'm pushed
> for somewhere convenient to put a sub in my living room, but
> dismissed it as
> a  little impractical. - the area under my living room floor
> is all open (it
> opens out into the cellar), so I reckon it would probably be
> a bit too
> boomy!??

Free Worldwide Calling with Firetalk!
Click Here: