RE: Pronto control of PC via TV

  • To: "'ukha_d@xxxxxxx'" <ukha_d@xxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: Pronto control of PC via TV
  • From: Steve Morgan <steve@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 17 Jun 2000 09:01:09 +0100

I use a universal remote (not a Pronto - but it wouldn't make any
difference) with an IR543 to send IR signals over X-10 to the Home
Automation server. This has a video card with TV-out (an ATI
All-in-Wonder Pro) that is viewed via a channel on the TV.

I then use this to navigate through an application I wrote to control
devices and also access voice mail over the TV.

Having changed my HA software recently from my own to HomeSeer, I had to
do some rather bizarre work to get access to the X-10 signals; HomeSeer
does not expose events for individual keypresses on the remote (such as
when you press a digit). It only fires an event when it receives a
function (like On). To get access to the digits, I ended up using a
second PC as an intelligent 'serial breakout box' between the HA server
and the CM12U. HomeSeer on the HA server thinks it's talking to the
CM12U, but it's actually talking to the other PC. This PC monitors the
X-10 data to and from the CM12U and sends details of individual X-10
messages to separate software on the HA server over the network - an all
together rather complicated process.

The alternative that I'm looking at currently (though it's not getting
the effort it deserves) is using an IRMan IR receiver (?20-odd)
connected to a machine in the living room that processes IR signals
directly. This could be connected directly to the HA server via a long
cable, but since I have a machine behind the sofa, it's just easier this
way for me.

So - yes, it's possible, using SOME variation on this kind of setup.
Using a Pronto would allow you to automatically select the appropriate
TV channel, too (as well as looking flash).

Good luck,
Steve