LCDs and VFDs

  • To: ukha_d@xxxxxxx
  • Subject: LCDs and VFDs
  • From: Nigel Orr <Nigel.Orr@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 15 Jun 2000 15:39:08 +0100

I reckon it's ukha-related anyway...

I just stumbled across this link:
http://lcdproc.omnipotent.net/

Basically a set of drivers to run LCDs off a serial port (for Linux or
Windows), with client/server stuff for TCP/IP control (nice!).  The reason
this interests me is that I'd like to run an alphanumeric Vacuum
Fluorescent Display in a box as a display for my (linux) MP3 player,
displaying album and track titles, and this looks like it might fit the
bill, and save me some programming.

Only snag is, I've never used a serial interface LCD, only parallel ones,
and not yet programmed a VFD (which are also serial)- does anyone know if
the '1937' (I think it's ISO 1937, but I can't remember) standard used for
VFDs is the same as that used for serial LCDs?

[I'm not trying to make work for myself on purpose- I'd just like the
display to be with my hi-fi, and everything else has a VFD, so an LCD would
stick out like a sore thumb...]

Even if no-one's able to answer the question, the LCD driver stuff might be
of interest.

Nigel

Remember the good 'ol days
http://click.egroups.com/1/5531/7/_/2065/_/961080063/