RE: Audio Cable dilemma

  • To: "'ukha_d@xxxxxxx'" <ukha_d@xxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: Audio Cable dilemma
  • From: Clive Dilley <clive@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 15 Jun 2000 10:29:15 +0100

I am not sure if you have had this suggestion, so here goes -

I was lucky in that I pre-wired a new house with loads of wire before we
moved in. However even with miles of the stuff buried in plaster, I still
have found new areas to install wire. I have hidden this new cable behind
coving - this allows wire to be taken all around a room completely
invisibly. Of course the wire then needs to be dropped down somewhere - the
same would be true if you did it with skirting only upwards.

Removing and re-installing skirting-board achieves roughly the same thing
but can be much harder, as wood splits, walls get damaged and joints never
look the same. Installing coving is easy and generally gives the
walls/ceiling a nicer finish (that's what the wife says).

I would recommend plaster coving (not the other stuff) as it gives a much
better finish. You can get it almost anywhere, but the 3m lengths are more
useful.  If you need to join to straight length's together then mitre them
(don't butt them) as this again looks better.

This assumes that you don't have coving of course.......

One other thought - smarthome.com sell audio wire that is so thin that it
can be stuck on walls and painted over.