Re: Audio Cable dilemma

  • To: ukha_d@xxxxxxx
  • Subject: Re: Audio Cable dilemma
  • From: "paul gordon" <paul_gordon@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 14 Jun 2000 15:02:18 GMT

>As you all know any form of cabling is not Wife-Friendly but my problem
is
>that I have to cable my surround speakers around the skirting board and
>door
>frame to position them in the room. I have solid floors and a wooden
floor

Do you have the skirting painted white?

In my house, I have been able to run the speaker cable under floors, and
had
a lot plastered into the walls, but there are still a few places (rooms I
haven't renovated yet), where I also have to run speaker cables along the
skirting board. I have found that the white plastic trunking available from
any of the DIY sheds is almost invisible when secured along the top edge of
the skirting - my skirting boards are just "planks" with a square
top - if
you have bullnose / chamfered / ogee profiled skirting, you may have to fix
it to the face of the board, running it along the floor. - I have done
both,
and results are fully wife-approved....

Another trick I have used, but it only works if you have emulsioned walls
(and you sill have some of the original emulsion left) is to run cables in
the corner joins either in the corner of the room, or in the 90-degree join
between the wall and the door architrave, then stick it down with masking
tape, and emulsion over it with the original paint. I have done this in one
instance where I decided to move a pair of speakers to a new location where
I had not previously thought to run spare cables in the walls, and the
results are again almost totally invisible and fully wife-approved. Results
are best if you have a textured wallpaper like Anaglypta.

HTH.

Paul G.