RE: Software project anyone?

  • To: "'ukha_d@xxxxxxx'" <ukha_d@xxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: Software project anyone?
  • From: Keith Doxey <keith.doxey@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 13 Jun 2000 22:39:59 +0100

Hi Mark,

I got the same results using an ASP that I developed. I beleive the cable
companies use alternate channels to get the service delivered to your
house. ie 21 to 69 = 48 channels so they can send 24 or 25 signals over the
cable to your house.

It isnt that simple with broadcast because signals travel outside their
designated boundaries so the alocation is spread about the band to try and
avoid transmitter overlap. If you have a TV where you can step through the
actual channel numbers see how many of the channels actually have something
on them. Whilst the signal possibly isnt suitable for watching (channel 5
in my area for example) it is more than strong enough to render that
channel useless :-((

I know that in your area you can with the right aerial, pick up extra
channels from Eire which makes your problem much worse.

The same applies to people who are served by repeater transmitters due to
poor signal from the main transmitter. In addition to the channels they
actually use, the main transmitter signals would often render its channels
numbers useless as well.

I am fortunate to live right on the coast away from most UK transmitters
apart from the one that actually serves me, but during certain weather
conditions, particularly at this time of year we get a lot of interference
from Holland/Germany. People living in the in the centre of the UK are
surrounded by many transmitters so even with the info on taboo channels it
could be difficult to get a clear channel :-((

Keith