Re: Cotrolling amps that don't have a remote control

  • To: ukha_d@xxxxxxx
  • Subject: Re: Cotrolling amps that don't have a remote control
  • From: Nigel Orr <Nigel.Orr@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 09 Jun 2000 10:12:34 +0100

At 09:26 09/06/00 +0100, you wrote:
>However, they don't have a remote control. How do I automate the
volume?

Build or buy?  If build, you could use one of the Dallas Semi digital
potentiometers, and build an IR interface.

If buy, easiest would be a separate preamp with remote control.

If the crucial thing is not to change the signal path in any way, a motor
on the volume pot would be the easi_est_ (or only!), but it wouldn't be
easy!  Things to bear in mind, will you want to control it manually?  Will
the motor/gearbox drag make that difficult?

>1: Is this viable?

Certainly possible

>2: Would the emf affect the sound?

Depends on the amp- even so, it would only make noises when the motor is
running.  You'd need to be reasonably careful about your IR interface too,
if it is to be mounted internally, but it shouldn't be much of an issue if
the amp is stable inside, as everything is at line level or above.

>3: Does anyone know of a suitable product?

Depends whether you want to 'mostly-analog-electronics-build' (VCA and IR
interface), 'mostly-digital-electronics-build' (Digital pot and IR
interface), 'mostly-mechanics-build' (motor and IR interface) or 'buy' (any
remote controlled preamp, or preamp kit (like Velleman one from Maplin)).

Lots of choices... which one do you want?

Nigel

$60 in FREE Long Distance!  Click Here to join beMANY! today.
http://click.egroups.com/1/4126/7/_/2065/_/960541956/