Re: CCTV at B&Q

At 23:07 13/04/00 +0100, you wrote:
>I noticed today B&Q has some cctv kits at =A335 for Ring and =A329
for Kin=
gston

I bought one of the Kingston ones yesterday (funny old world!).  Price is
certainly good- I've not seen anything except board cameras at that price
before.  Picture quality is OK, as good as my similarly priced board
camera, IR illumination is adequate for about 1-2m.  The mic works.

Disadvantages:
The front plastic window is too far from the lens, so there is some
reflection from the IR LEDs on the picture (a couple of bright spots)
The outside box says 'weatherproof', the inside says it should not be
mounted where it will experience heavy rain... I'm not sure what weather it
is supposed to be -proof against (sunshine and wind presumably).  The case
looks reasonably well sealed (as long as it's pointing down- there is a mic
hole in the front), but I'll have a look at the Ring one as a replacement
and see if it is more waterproof... not sure if it has a mic, but that's
not an issue for this one...

>(I think). Has anyone tried these kits. They are supplied with cabling,

17m of cable according to the leaflet inside, again, they're _very_ cheap-
I could get a camera for the same price from henry's
(http://www.henrys.co.uk) but then
it'd be about the same again for cable,
PSU and water/weather-proof housing.

If anyone has the Ring one, I'd be interested to hear how it compares.

Nigel

25% Off All Prints!=20=20
Buy one today at Corbis.com
http://click.egroups.com/1/3357/5/_/2065/_/955698648/