Re: WinLinux and Home Automation...

  • To: ukha_d@xxxxxxx
  • Subject: Re: WinLinux and Home Automation...
  • From: andy.powell@xxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 13 Apr 2000 11:15:54 +0200

Hi,

WinLinux is basically Linux 2.2 - What it does provide is a MS Windows
install which autodetects what hardware you have. It makes initial install
very easy. Once installed it leaves an icon on your desktop that you can
double click to start Linux. The instructions seem to suggest that it can
run 'like any other  Windows Program' In practice it closes windows and
then starts Linux...

This is the 3rd time that I have installed Linux - the first 2 times I
used RedHat.. I don't realy know much about Linux (read anything!) so it
is just experimental. Most peope blast MS windows but to be honest it's
much easier to configure. Take for example the networking. I've actually -
by some miracle - managed to get the 'filemanager' (or whatever it's
called under Linux) to connect via my proxy to the Internet - but can I
find how to configure Netscape to do the same? Nooooo... seems like to
have to configure things in multiple places... (and I still don't know!!
HINT HINT).

Andy

************************ DISCLAIMER ************************
This message is intended only for use by the person
to whom it is addressed. It may contain information
that is privileged and confidential. Its content does
not constitute a formal commitment by Lombard Odier.
If you are not the intended recipient of this message,
kindly notify the sender immediately and destroy this
message. Thank You.

25% Off All Prints!
Buy one today at Corbis.com
http://click.egroups.com/1/3357/5/_/2065/_/955617559/