Re: RS485

  • To: ukha_d@xxxxxxx
  • Subject: Re: RS485
  • From: Nigel Orr <Nigel.Orr@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 11 Apr 2000 08:52:43 +0100

At 20:14 10/04/00 +0100, you wrote:
>I am wanting to read up about RS485 (how it works, how to connect
devices to
>it, etc) and wondered if anybody had any pointers they were willing to
>share?

It's worth noting that it's less of a 'standard' than RS-232.  Basically,
it's just RS-232 with balanced signalling, so it can cope with longer
distances, higher speed and multiple transmitters on the same 'bus'.  If
you come across references to RS-422, that's the same thing, but without
the multiple transmitters.

How handshaking and bus contention is handled is up to the individual
implementation (or if there is a standard, I've never been fortunate enough
to see it...).  One common implementation is DMX-512 (which is relevantish
to home automation), which was developed to control stage lighting dimmers.

But RS-485 is just an electrical standard, doesn't specify data formats etc
etc.  What are you hoping to do with it?  I might have some specifics I can
dig out somewhere (last time I used it was last year, to build a parallel
port to RS-485 to parallel port converter to run parallel port-controlled
equipment through 150m of cable).

Nigel

Enter to WIN one of 10 NEW Kenmore Ranges!
Only at sears.com
http://click.egroups.com/1/2677/5/_/2065/_/955439558/