RE: ADSL

Stuart,

Congratulations on having the good luck to be in an ADSL covered area.  I
live well outside the covered area, and have no suggestions as to ISPs you
could choose (other than possibly Nildram, and literally searching through
all the usual ISPs).  As to your price, bear in mind that there's 2 prices,
the price BT charges the ISP for each service, and then the price that the
ISP charges us, the customer.

I don't believe that OFTEL have/can specify a price for this service (yet
?).  Clearly the UK market for ADSL is currently a monopoly from BT's
point-of-view, and therefore it will not make it 'freely' available to the
masses (it does need to earn money for the massive investment its making
into deploying the ADSL muxes, and the core ATM/SDH infrastructure in order
to support it).  BT is clearly aiming to develop a commercial model in the
mass-market direction, but has no pressing competitive reason to move too
quickly (no LLU yet, and that's still fairly limited anyway).  In order to
justify deploying ADSL at all, its current commercial model (I'm guessing)
will have a slow take-up aimed at SME/SOHO types, in order to prove the
consumer market and gain a breathing spacce in order to more fully equip
exchanges, as well as backbone infrastructure, and this may well last a
yea=
or so.  After a year, one might guess BT would want to have perhaps 50k
customers, and at that point (i.e. summer 2001), BT would want to make the
service more freely available and the numbers could justify cheaper
service=
offered by BT, and by the ISPs.

Hope that helps, rather than puts you off.  I'd expect to be able to find
an ISP offering ADSL from June onwards (the new launch date ?), at the
lowe=
rate IPStream 500, for possibly =A350-=A375 per month.  But that's only a
g=
uess.

James

p.s. you might also want to inquire/check wether BT can offer ADSL along
your copper; length, quality etc.

I'm
> going
> back to BT.
>=20
> I've been scouring ISP's the length and breadth of the country trying
> find one that offers or is planning to offer a DSL service, and
they've
> all
> come back with the same answer - "No, it'd be too expensive to
offer".
> Only
> one of those ISP's actually quoted a price (uklinux.net) at 200+ ukp,
plu=
> an "excess bandwidth charge" which they havn't been quoted a
price for.
>=20
> It seems BT have priced this service, not only out of the common man's
> price
> range, but also out of the ISP's who must offer it, the only 2 ISP's
that
> know of to offer a DSL service are Freenetname and Demon, but they're
bot=
> only trials, with no details of what the final price will be.
>=20
> I seem to remember OFTEL telling BT they must offer the service at a
rate
> of
> around 50 ukp a month, or did I just dream that?
>=20
> Does anyone else know of any ISP's offering DSL at a proper rate, or
> indeed
> has anyone been quoted any prices whatsoever for a DSL service?
>=20
>=20

> 72% off on Name brand Watches!
> Come and buy today and get free shipping!

>=20
This message may contain information which is confidential or privileged.
If you are not the intended recipient, please advise the sender immediately
by reply e-mail and delete this message and any attachments
without retaining a copy.=20=20

Install today:
http://click.egroups.com/1/2344/5/_/2065/_/955356119/