Re: BIG drives

  • To: ukha_d@xxxxxxx
  • Subject: Re: BIG drives
  • From: "paul gordon" <paul_gordon@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 28 Sep 1999 21:04:38 GMT

HOLD THE PRESS!!

Dabs Direct (www.dabs.com) are selling this very same drive for £93
It's the Fulitsu Picobird 17.3GB

Bear in mind of course that all prices for either of these suppliers are EX
VAT (as are nearly all advertised PC prices).

I bought one of these about 1 month ago from Dabs, (at the higher price of
£112 then) - Isn't it annoying when they drop the price just 2 weeks after
you buy something!!!

MP3 jukebox was the very purpose for this drive, and it's working very well
- about 12GB's of MP3's on there at the moment.

BTW, they have used the now pretty common trick of expressing the capacity
in "decimal Gigabytes" - IE x1000 instead of x1024, so although
not
technically lying about the size, there's actually only 16GB available to
use.

Also, ATA-66 Mobo's are about as rare as hen's teeth right now - I've been
scouring the pages of PCW with a fine tooth comb sice I bought the drive a
month ago, and I only JUST found one last week, which I bought. (Also from
Scan) - this is the Abit BE6, which if memory serves, set me back about
£85,
has ATA-66 on board, and is supplied with one ATA-66 high-density cable
(which is required to use ATA-66 drives at the full ATA-66 speed)

I reckon that right now (well, this week anyway), this particular drive
currently offers the best price-per-GB ratio available, as the next step
up,
to 20, 22, 25 or 27GB drives all have quite significant price hikes at each
step.

Still, you just KNOW that within a few months (weeks??) drives will be
going
for £1 per GB, and we'll all have 250GB drives in our machines!!! (We'll
probably need it for WIN2K ;-)))

ho-hum...

Paul Gordon.

>From: "Mark McCall" <mark@xxxxxxx>
>To: <ukha_d@xxxxxxx>
>Subject: [ukha_d] BIG drives
>Date: Tue, 28 Sep 1999 09:28:27 +0100
>
>Hi All
>
>Another SCAN deal that looks pretty amazing.  Anyone thinking of
setting up
>an MP3 jukebox might be interested in this one.
>

>http://www.scan.co.uk/today.htm
>TODAY ONLY
>Fujitsu 17GbB
>Hi-Performance Hard Drive
>
>with a 512K Cache & FAST 8ms access & 5400rpm
>The above drive is ATA-66 with 3 Year Warranty
>
>EXCLUSIVE to SCAN Included FREE with this superb deal is Drive Copy!
The
>professional software to help to copy and backup your complete drive
while
>you upgrading to your new drive from SCAN - We think of everything!
FREE
>worth £19.00 (rrp) while stocks last.
>
>£96.00
>(or Buy 2 for £94.00 Ea)

>eGroups.com home: http://www.egroups.com/group/ukha_d
>http://www.egroups.com -
Simplifying group communications

Special offer for eGroups Users: 100 Business Cards FREE!
Visit iPrint.com - The Internet iPrint Shop today to get
your set!  http://clickhere.egroups.com/click/1025