Switched live and X10

I want to automate a floodlight whose switch currently appears in the
kitchen - the wire then disappears somewhere up through a wall upstairs.
I therefore only have access to the switched live to the floodlamp,
which as I understand, is not good enough for standard X10 devices (it's
a 500w lamp, so I'm fairly sure that's outside the parameters of the X10
UK light switch).

Can I wire up an AD10 from a seperate supply, and connect the live
output from the AD10 to the switched live feed on the floodlamp. This
will presumably effectively connect the downstairs ring main to the
upstairs lighting circuit, which doesn't strike me as such a good
idea... I'm willing to experiment, but was wondering if anyone could say
it's a stupid idea up front, or warn me that I might blow something up
before I do...

Ray Barnett

eGroups.com home: http://www.egroups.com/group/ukha_d
http://www.egroups.com - Simplifying