Re: German to UK phone wiring

Hi Tim,

As far as I am aware, the UK is the only place that uses a separate wire
for the ringing.

Your ringing problem with the falcon could be due to a number of things. As
you already said it could be faulty, it could also be that the two just
arent compatible. You did say that the ringing was a square wave and maybe
the signal getting through just isnt strong enough to ring it. Although a
phone may be approved it isnt guaranteed to work properly in every possible
situation. Every BT phone used to have a paragraph in the handbook stating
that. A fairly common ocurance involves a Relate 300. Works great as a
phone but if you try to use a modem on the same line you get an abysmal
connect speed, unplug the relate and connection is superfast.

We certainly had several wierd phone/PBX incompatibility problems at
various times including one phone where the manufacturer made a slight
change to the internal circuitry of a phone which then stopped it working
on a particular PBX if it had a certain type of extension card fitted.
Changing the phone to a different type or fitting the later extn card cured
the problem.

A non UK phone will almost certainly ring on any line as the capacitor
needed to connect the ringer to the line is in the phone itself. Quite why
BT adopted the idea of an external capacitor to feed the ringing signal
onto the third wire is beyond me. It was designed by someone much higher up
than me :-))

Even if you have a master jack, the ringing is still present on pin 2 of
the socket as well.

The ISDN question I cant answer and dont even know who to ask. There are
over 4000 people on site here at Martlesham and I probably know what 150 of
them do.

Its 3 years since I was a true "telephone" engineer and although
I still
work for BT my only real involvement with phones these days is picking one
up and talking into it !!!

My work time is all spent either on Intranet/Internet database development
or providing technical support to Pc and AV equipment in our presentation
suites.

Keith Doxey
http://www.btinternet.com/~krazy.keith
Krazy Keith's World of DIY Home Automation